Friday 19 February 2016

PEOPLE : 'THOSE AFRAID OF ME ARE NOT STRAIGHT FORWARD'- MEET ‘FBI’ OF JOHANNESBURG

He is respected by some, ‘feared’ by many.  When he is around, there is a general ambiance of someone who knows his way and handles issues as they come. 

Always between two telephones, the gentleman popularly known as the ‘FBI’ of Johannesburg (even Petit Pays sings his name) is always with the migrant communities in Johannesburg - Hilbrow, Yeoville, amongst others. 

Agbor Walters Enow a.k.a FBI has been in South Africa for 23 years and is known beyond his Cameroonian community. It is his handling of issues related to migration, the courts, the cells ...that earned him the name ‘FBI.’

'FBI' of  JOHANNESBURG
“If you want to be lazy you can’t achieve anything. I went into the South African system and started working with Home Affairs Department (DHA) as an interpreter between 1996 and 1998. I was well paid but I asked myself why I must be a slave for someone when I have my own brains to do my things? 

I am ‘FBI’ because I work with the South African Police Service, SAPS, and have a company that trains them. I do private investigations. I handle mostly immigration and criminal matters etc.  I know most people in the police and the government of South Africa. 

I know which court to go to and which magistrate to speak to when a matter concerns any of my Cameroonian brothers and or migrants,” Agbor Walters said.

THEY ARE NOT STRAIGHT FORWARD

Some residents believe that ‘FBI’ remains very controversial, should be dreaded and that he was a ‘necessary evil’ like any human being.  

“They are scared of me because they are not straight forward. There are those who are criminals who like to go behind and talk. Who put their eyes into other people’s problems and business or send the police to go and take people’s money.

They must be scared of me because it’s not part of what we are to do. Don’t put your eye in other people’s business. If you do that you will never progress. Pray and work hard and you will have it. Do not compare with others,” FBI advised.

Cameroonian born Agbor Walters Enow whom many seem to describe as a ‘mafia’ is also a big businessman.  “I created my own companies. “Enow and Sons,” “Walters Technology” and “Agbor and Inn.” I was into entertainment; controlling night clubs which I no longer do. I also left the restaurant business. 

I now do import and export of gas, petrol and oil. We also export South African wines to Cameroon and other African countries. I am not rich. I don’t want to be rich. Those who are rich have problems for life. I am an average person and satisfied with what I do and have,” was quick to add FBI, who after graduating with a BSc in Sociology from the University of Yaoundé 1, worked with United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, UNICEF and furthered his studies at Damelin College Johannesburg. 

THINGS ARE CHANGING IN CAMEROON!- FBI ...REALY?
He however did not wish to comment on his role in the University of Yaounde 1 student unrests in the early 1990’s in Cameroon.

THINGS ARE CHANGING BACK HOME

FBI, said though there were loopholes in the business environment in Cameroon things are changing.

“You can’t compare the two. South Africa is very advanced. In SA if you have to pay 14% of taxes, you pay. In Cameroon people were manipulating things. That’s why I assume taxes are up. In the past there was tax evasion for ages because they belong to the ruling party. Now in Cameroon, you must pay taxes. Let’s not say things because we don’t like the Paul Biya regime. 

For example, Paul Biya, actually has been trusting me and you. They appoint you a minister somewhere. You come with a project to do something but steal the money and put in your pocket. Take the Kumba-Mamfe road. It’s on paper that it has been tarred. But when you visit the area there is no tar. Then an enquiry is opened and people are arrested and put in Kondengui.

They start saying he is busy arresting people. Those who are appointed today put their hands on head and cry that their time to an early grave has come, because you know you can’t steal. 

Any little thing you do now you are in for it. You have the Supreme State Audit which investigates. All those who are inside (in prison) are members of the CPDM.CPDM was a government of thieves before, and once Paul Biya discovered it, he put all of those stealing in jail. There is no more stealing. It was a government of thieves that is why there is clean up. Things are changing big time in Cameroon,” FBI argued.

The belief that all compatriots in the diaspora, whether with political ambitions or not would someday return home is still alive. FBI is no exception.

AGBOR WALTERS :THINKING ABOUT HOME
“I have been helping my community in my own way as we all plan to go back home someday. I am the President of President Biya’s Youths (Presby) in SA and a member of the CPDM. 

I am the External Relation official of the CPDM section in SA. In Mamfe I have tried to develop my community and got involved into water projects. We can’t expect the government to do everything,” argued FBI who has mixed feelings over calls for Biya’s candidacy.


“Cameroon is being developed big time. Paul Biya has been there for 34 years and is doing what he is supposed to have done. There is no lateness. He is going to give others a chance when the time comes. He never said he wants to stand as candidate in 2018. 

Let’s wait and hear if he is going to declare himself. If he still wants to stand maybe some militants would back off. Cameroon is a democratic country. Cameroon use to be a corrupt country. Cameroon is no more the way people see it,” said the tough-talking FBI.

No comments:

Post a Comment